Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Things that weren't even on the list

I didn't make a list last year.  You know, that list that people make at the new year, detailing all of the things that they plan to do in the coming year, it's New Years resolutions for the verbose and indecisive.  I'm opposed to these lists (at least for myself) just as much as I am opposed to new years resolutions. I also resist watching movies when they get amazing reviews and stubbornly try not to like people that everyone adores.  What can I say, I have a small squeaky heart that resists going with the flow even the flow is of a positive nature. 

I think my opposition to new years lists and resolutions is 98% word choice because I'm totally okay with goals and "things I want to do next year" but making a full on list seems...well, rather restrictive.  Every time I've made one these lists I have not prepared nor put real thought into them and thus the results are an annual bucket list that's based off of...well, nothing.  I then proceed to completely forget about it until next year rolls around and I realize that shockingly, I didn't climb Mt. Everest, learn glass blowing or fit into a size 4.

Despite not having made a list or a resolution a lot of great and not so great things happened last year. most of which I would never in a hundred years have thought to put on a list. So, honor of finally understanding what that hell a "deconstructed sandwich" is I present to you:

Things that Happened Last Year That Weren't on Any List
  1. Ran a 5K to support Breast Cancer Research and raise awareness for ISR with Club Fun.
  2. Lounged in the warm winter South Florida sun with Club Fun drinking ridiculously strong fruity drinks.
  3. Made a 20 foot straw.
  4. Went skiing for four days in Park City, Utah.
  5. Faced, for two whole, terrible seconds, what losing my mom would be like. 
  6. Ate a luxurious lunch with my sister by the Atlantic Ocean.
  7. Spent a long weekend at the beach with my family, complete with tacos, seafood and beer.  Who says spring break ends after college?
  8. Had a giant, public, humiliating, friendship ending, angst inducing, brawl.  God, please let that one never need be repeated.
  9. Established a legit Baby Mafia - seven strong and growing! 
  10. Bought a car.  I really hated this one, it was stressful, sweaty, angsty and fucking expensive but I did it - just like the big kids do. 
  11. Drank beer and listened to really terrible live jazz on St. Pete beach with Monica.
  12. Figured out a way to make quinoa taste good.  (FTR: mix it with cottage cheese, veggies, and cheddar and make it into a cake.)
  13. Learned how to brew beer - and when I say "learned" I mean sat around drinking it while occasionally paying attention to what Steve was doing.
  14. Welcomed a certain Jack Anderson Bullivant to the world.  Welcome to Mafia little man, YOU are destined for a lofty position within The Family.
  15. Learned how to wakeboard.
  16. Drank Apple Pie Moonshine - it really REALLY tastes like apple pie.
  17. Staged a coup: I am now the proud owner of Annie's Red Umbrella Cafe in White Bear Lake, Minnesota. Call for reservations. Bikers not welcome.
  18. TP-ed a cubicle.  Not as exciting as TPing a whole house but enjoyable nonetheless.
  19. Had an AMAZING birthday party at my favorite restaurant with almost all of my favorite people and endless vodka gimlets.  The endless drink thing probably need not be repeated.
  20. Welcomed the lovely Lily Grace Asa to my growing Baby Mafia, and on Nurse Leslie's birthday too!
  21. Coerced Nurse Leslie up on stage at the Piano Bar to be sung to by two very odd pianomen...AND got pictures of it! Yep - that was me!  Muahahhaah!
  22. Did, what was to date, THE HARDEST thing I've ever had to do...yet lived to tell the tale.  So far anyways.
  23. Was the lucky beneficiary of Erica and Monica's "The Plan."  Might I recommend such an amazing regimen to all of the recently heartbroken.
  24. Found out, in no uncertain terms that I am beyond lucky in friendship and family.
  25. Went to my 10 year high school reunion.
  26. Had an impromptu tailgate 80s dance party.
  27. Made a bet on some yarn, three pennies and a cigarette over a tiny red jacket.
  28. Learned how to knit.
  29. Attended the Blake-Kukulka Thanksgiving. 
  30. Bought my own Christmas tree, had it tied to the roof of my teeny car and brought it home all on my own.
  31. Started an office  holiday decoration competition
  32. Learned how to make baklava and stuffed grape leaves -- this will come in handy!
  33. Drank margaritas on Christmas day with my sister.
  34. Celebrated Gabe's Dirty 30 Burfday complete with chocolate, drinks and fun. 


1 comment:

Ashleigh said...

My son, my company, and one of my favorite days from 2011 all made the list! I think watching you drink that fruity drink makes my highlight reel (and drinking my virgin version was delish)!