Tuesday, January 31, 2012

oh Jeffery...

"When life gives you a Jeffery, stroke the furry wall" 
- Get Him to the Greek

Life handed me a Jeffery this week, thankfully not in the form of hallucinogen (or maybe not so thankfully?) but rather in the form an alarmingly needy person whose lack of social skills made me want to punch things.

Occasionally I worry about my proclivity towards physical violence when in the midst of frustrating situations, then I remembered that I've yet to ever indulge in these urges and I find that comforting.  I suspect that it's not the violence so much as the endorphins that I get from something intensely physical like kick boxing or running that I'm actually craving in these moments, a craving that somehow ends up translating into an itchy left foot.  But, I digress. Around three in the afternoon I put my head down on my desk (which did not in fact stem the stream of incessant requests) and wondered "why the hell do I do this?"  

I do this because of this: 
January 25, 2011
What you see before you, is all of the data that I collected from my first study ever.  It's the first therapeutic study I was ever in charge of,  from set-up to close-out it was mine: my responsibility and my problem.  Add my shelves of data to that of a hundred other sites across the world and do you know what you get?  You get an IND that was approved by the FDA for open-label use.  The drug that we were testing in this study has gone on to be approved by the FDA and my patients who were receiving it on study (translation: with mildly annoying strings attached) are no receiving it open-label (translation: free of strings.)

I was (a very small) part of bringing a drug from the "maybe this might help" stage, to the "yeah, this helps and we're giving it to people" stage.

Jeffery's be damned, THIS is why I do this.  The sculpture art is just a perk.