Friday, August 7, 2009

Over-achieving Spiders at 4000 NW 51st Street

The spiders at my apartment are extraordinarily determined.

Despite the fact that I lumber through their webs each and every morning and afternoon, they persist in weaving them again.

They have yet to be discouraged.

I am, in fact developing an strong aversion to the ghostly tickly feeling of ravaged spider silk on my arms and face. It might be PTSD. I often think I feel it when it's not even there.

I wish that they would give up and weave their webs elsewhere.

Based on the half frightened half irritated face I saw peaking through the curtains as I did my ritual Rid-Myself-Of-Spiders dance on the bottom stair this morning, I suspect that my downstairs neighbor wishes this too.

2 comments:

katie said...

Having just done a paper on PTSD, sadly, I do not think your aversion to spiderwebs qualifies. But look on the bright side...the definition seems to get more liberal with each edition of the DSM, so perhaps in the next edition you may qualify! I would say that your ravaging of the spiders' home might induce PTSD in them, but since they do not try to avoid the situation by moving elsewhere, they also do not qualify. Maybe if you work to scare them a bit more, they might move. :)

SoMuchToSay said...

that is so sad

one would think that the Rid-yourself-of-spiders dance would be sufficiently frightening. guess not :( I'll just have to try harder!