Thursday, February 9, 2012

Somebody that I used to know

I'm not sure what's up with my sudden need to post all these song's of the day.  I'm about 99% sure that nobody actually ends up listening to them, a suspicion that is born of my own reluctance to watch videos posted on the blogs that I follow. However if this blog only existed to reach the masses, it wouldn't exist so why would I start only posting for mass-appeal now? Exactly.

I heard this song the other morning on MTV while I was getting ready and it made me stop mid-tooth brushing, one sock on to watch.  It hit a certain cord with me that I couldn't quite peg until I read the lyrics and I realized that the very odd man was singing about one of the most heartrending almost-inevitability's of breakups.  The part that coils into a snake of fear in my stomach every time I realize that a relationship of mine is about to end.  It's always amazed me in a sad way when relationships end in bitterness and borderline hatred.  Do we just lose sight of the fact that this was someone we once loved, valued and protected?  Or is it just too hard to remember that so we focus on the now, on the hurt and on the bad?



You can get addicted to a certain kind of sadness
Like resignation to the end, always the end
So when we found that we could not make sense
Well you said that we would still be friends
But I'll admit that I was glad that it was over

But you didn't have to cut me off
Make out like it never happened and now we were nothing
And I don't even need your love
But you treat me like a stranger and I feel so rough

1 comment:

Kate said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE. Also love the Ron Pope cover- It's more pop-y, but love it nonetheless.