Thursday, February 2, 2012

The Florida Primaries


When Mitt Romney won the Florida Republican primary, I have to admit, I was a bit relieved.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not even close what you would call a "Romney Fan", and not being a Republican I didn't get a say in this one.  It's just that I don't think that I can handle living in a state that thinks Newt Gingrich is an acceptable candidate for President of the United States.(Seriously, when Congress, CONGRESS censures you for ethics violations?!  You're up to some pretty nix level shit and I truly believe that if we are going to impeach a sitting President for sexual indiscretions, we should raise our standards for Presidential nominees high enough to rule out those censured for ethics violations.)

So I was sitting there thinking, okay - don't love the guy but if it has to be one of them...might as well be him.  Then I heard his victory speech.


"While we celebrate this victory, we must not forget what this election is really about ..."

What? Getting the economy moving?  Keeping Americans safe? Providing Americans with solid, fair health care? Supporting our educational system so that young Americans receive an education that prepares them to be competitive in the world market?

Nope

"While we celebrate this victory, we must not forget what this election is really about: defeating Barack Obama."

It's the Iowa Caucus all over again. 

I'm not so naive to think that the primaries aren't about the Republican party finding a candidate who can defeat President Obama, but it should be about so much more than just winning.  It's about what you're going to do with that win and the fact that they're not even pretending that it's about more that that, I find it disgusting and disheartening. 

No comments: