Tuesday, February 21, 2012

February Twofer: The Medieval Fair

You have NO IDEA the kind of restraint that it took to limit this day to only two pictures.  I took over forty-two pictures and all but two of them were winners.  Seriously. Sadly the project doesn't call for forty pictures a day, it exhorts me to be decisive (something I stink at) and concise (something I'm even worse at.) Nevertheless, in keeping with my original intentions - I shall try.

The Medieval Fair has come to Gainesville every single year since I've lived here but much like the Gainesville Raceway, I've never had the urge to see it in action.  Since this year is a year for firsts, and with the promise of beer, mead and mock hand to hand combat, I decided that I had put it off long enough.

It. Was. Awesome.

Which brings me to picture number one: the time we ran into a woman with a goat, or a lamb or...something small and fuzzie.  It doesn't seem like a great picture and probably isn't because it needs a little explanation but I've got the time and seeing as you're here reading, I can only assume that you do do.  This picture is EXACTLY how our day went.

 See Sarah in the background, left?  See that perplexed look on her face?  She's thinking that there is just NO WAY that the small baby animal in the medieval woman's arms isn't a puppy?  Then there's John right next to her collaborating, "it's definitely a puppy, or at the very least, a lamb, how does this woman think she can get away with calling it a goat?"  Then there's Meredith, once again single handedly taking on the responsibility of making us socially acceptable with intelligent questions such as "is she milk producing or raised for meat?" and giving people a reason not to lynch us. I can tell you that we ALL heaved a sigh of relief to hear that she was a milk goat/puppy/foal.
February 4, 2012

Probably an even better depiction of our day (and what I would have chosen if I had it in me to be concise) is Picture #2: the purchase of the sword.
February 4, 2012
Our challenge for the day was to make a souvenir purchase of less than ten dollars.  John failed utterly and purchased nothing but fried food and beer.  I purchased a Hoggetown Brewery pint glass - not very exciting but pretty typical since it was purchased out of guilt.  Sara however, really took stock and found the heart and soul of this challenge by purchasing one one wooden sword.  She's totally not going to regret that.

No comments: