Monday, December 12, 2011

Damn house elves

After breakfast last Sunday morning, after Monica returned to Tampa to watch the Steelers game in the comfort of her local bar and Erica returned to Casa de Blake, I packaged up some grape leaves and baklava for Meredith and Rob. After wrapping the food up I walked away, found some shoes and on the way back to the kitchen decided that I hadn't put enough grape leaves in the tupperware.  I opened the fridge to get more grape leaves out but...the grape leaf container isn't there. 

I shut the fridge door and checked the counters...no grape leaves. 

Puzzled now, I walk back to the bedroom wondering if its possible that I brought it back there with me.  It'd be weird but not necessarily out of the scope of possibility but nope, no grape leaves.

Back to the kitchen where I double check the fridge, freezer and counters.  No grape leaves. 

Odd and a little concerning, I turned a slow circle in the middle of the kitchen making sure I hadn't over looked it. This is something that Wes used to do, hide things thing when I'd turn my back.  Knives, food, hair ties, pictures, cell phones, books, glasses of water would disappear when I turned away and by the time I turned back Wes would be about two feet away looking nonchalant and unconcerned. It would ALWAYS turn out to be him though.  Always.  But Wes isn't here. So where are my grape leaves?

Perhaps I've lost my mind, or equally as likely maybe I have a meddling ghost/intruder who likes stuffed grape leaves. 

I open the fridge again just to triple check that they aren't there.  They aren't.  So I start wandering around the house, checking spare rooms just to make absolutely sure that nobody is here.  I admit, I even called out a tentative..."Wes?" just on the bizarre off chance that I've dreamt the past few months and he's there hiding behind the counter with the dish of grape leaves giggling as I rack my brain for what I've done with them.

Still puzzled and more than a little weirded out, I open the cabinet to grab a lid for the tupperware container and:

December 4, 2011
Damn house elves, they're always putting stuff away in the wrong place.

No comments: