Sunday, June 27, 2010

An Ode to Papa

I generally don’t put a whole lot of credence in life philosophies. I think that much beyond being kind, telling the truth and laughing loud, hard and freely, not much holds water. This week though, I’ve decided to add one to my list: better late than never. Think about it: apologies, cleaning, cutting the grass, eating, falling in love, discovering the West Wing, waking up (and for that matter, falling asleep!) and taking the time to give a really, really good hug, all things that are better done late than never. And in honor of this addition to the principles that guide my life, I will embrace it and choose a topic that is both belated and worthy of a blog: my Papa.

There are a solid few thousand things that I could say about my Papa in (belated) honor of Father’s Day because lets face it, he's mine and in my opinion the best of the best in this area. Today though I’m going to stick with a few that I’ve just recently come to appreciate in full.

1. He’s a really, really good son. He’s his mother’s everything and he does it without grudge, without self-aggrandizing sanctity and with the perfect measure of frustration in dealing so intimately with a parent. While I hope that such a thing is never necessary (because clearly he and my mom will both live forever – duh) I hope that should it become necessary, I will be half as practically helpful, kind and concerned as he is.

2. He always provides the tasty wine  :)

3. He’s a really kind husband. Now I get that what I’ve seen of my parents relationship is maybe like, um...maybe 5% of what it is, but what I do know is that after 30+ years he still brings her flowers and recently suffered quietly through watching Mama Mia. He supports the causes that she holds dear, playing cabbie and chef to both her and her teammates during the 3 Day. He loves her, he respects her and treats accordingly. He is the reason that my sister found Gabe, someone who loves her and treats her well. He is the reason that I’ve found Wes. He showed us what we should be looking for.

4. He is the only person, to date, who has not mocked, giggled at, made a face at or looked askance at me when I explained my 3 Book Reading System.

5. He lives by: "when there’s a problem, just look at it and see if you can figure it out.” Simple enough...maybe, but very effective.  As a result when I find things that I’ve never come across before (which lets admit, I’m 26 and it happens ALL THE TIME) this tactic works just about ever time. And when it doesn’t, a little Google helps too.

6. He eats the orange Popsicles.  In a household where Erica and I would FIGHT TO THE DEATH for the cherry or grape Popsicles, having the orange ones myyyysteriously disappear so that we could open a new box was (and is) a very very good thing.

7.  Papa Fries - 'nough said.

8. He's a creative curser.  When all is said and done, he doesn't swear very often but when he does...it's not your boring 'ol F Bomb hitting the floor.  It's much more akin to Ari from Entourage and (as I believe I've written before) that's the kind of cursing that I aspire to.  Rare and only when warranted but skillful to the max.

9. He smells like peppermint, smoke and sawdust.  Clearly he doesn't always smell like that but when I think of him, that is what I smell.

All reasons aside though, he's my Papa and I love him.

Happy (belated) Papa's Day :)

No comments: