Sunday, June 13, 2010

The day that I wore shorts

I wore a pair of shorts for a full 5 hours today.  I know, stop the presses right?!  But seriously, this is actually an oddly significant thing for me.

I stopped wearing shorts in high school when a guy that I was talking with told me that my legs were too chubby to wear shorts.  I know that I may have chubby legs but TOO chubby for shorts?  I think that's an exaggeration.  And while we're on the topic of high school romance, how insanely unjust is it that our generation doesn't date but rather, we "talk"?!  See when you "talk" you do just that.  There are no flowers or dinner or even movies for crying out loud!  It's group dates and hanging out.  As someone who wasn't taken out on a genuine, honest to goodness date until I was 22 years old, let me just say that in retrospect I feel totally gypped. But I digress. 

So - for the past decade at least I've worn pants almost exclusively, and in the muggy sauna that is Florida 10 months out of the year this is not a small feat.  I don't even wear shorts to the gym, that's how bad it is.  It only took me about two years to consciously disregard the comments made by said douchey-mcdoucherson but subconsciously I just wasn't okay with my legs anymore and shorts felt awkward and uncomfortable.  They say that hindsight is twenty-twenty and in this case I would agree because looking back, I could seriously kick myself.  My legs might be on the short side but when I was 18, they were strong, toned and cellulite free.  They might never have or will rival those of Meghan Fox but they were (and are) far from repulsive.  I should have been reveling in them but rather I was covering them up in shame. 

So here I am at 26 and I still don't wear shorts.  My legs are less impressive now then they were then but they're also probably far more impressive then they may be a some time in the future.  In honor of this and in an honest attempt to not look back with measured regret in another 10 years, my goal for this summer is to re-integrate shorts into my wardrobe.  Today wasn't SO bad but it wasn't great either and after 5 hours I was definitely desperate to have my jeans back.  Maybe next time will be easier.

No comments: