Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Not Born to Run

I recently read a really great book called Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen by. Christopher McDougall. It's part adventure novel, part expose on why some people seem to be able to run, run, run, run, run, run, whereas other people develop and are plagued by knee, back, ankle and shin injuries. It's a good read and it got me thinking that you know, maybe this guy is right, maybe I CAN run like that.

Now I remember, no, no I cannot. I'm sitting here with my left leg propped up on my computer tower because my left knee has resumed it's clicking, swelling, aching activities following 1 Zumba class and 1 short run. I'm not even sure that we could call it a run, light jog perhaps.

I'm very tired of you left knee, acting up whenever I start getting into decent shape and have an inkling to run, jump or get down like James Brown. While I primarily wish that you would just plain stop clicking, swelling and aching following any kind of high impact activity, I would be satisfied if you would simply respond to the ice and ibuprofen combo that all trainers, nurses and excercise magazines suggest. If not, well, you're forcing my hand her oh' devilish left knee of mine, I'll just have to go get a pair of robot knees.

No comments: