Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Why I want to be CJ Cregg

I have a bit of an overzealous love of the now defunct show, The West Wing. Watching re-runs on dvd is perhaps my favorite rainy day/ Sunday/ evening activity and quotes from said show account for approximately 50% of all facebook status'. I may or may not have developed an inappropriate attachment to the characters given that they don't actually exist. But really people, how can you not love a show that lists "logistically impractical to enforce" next to "constitutionally illegal" as reasons why throwing out all US laws in favor of the 10 commandments is a bad idea!??

C.J. Cregg is the only female member of the faux Senior Staff in the faux President Jedidiah Bartlett's administration and I want to be her. She's tall and leggy, which as a short person I find to be worthy of envy all on it's own.

She's strong, smart and incredibly well spoken. I've always wanted to be able to not only ZING! but to ZING! intelligently. I've never been a ZING!-y debater, I guess I just don't have the gift of measured ZING! I've been told that the feeling of triumph and smugness following a truly inspired ZING! is less...say...satisfying than I might imagine. Regardless, CJ is definitely ZING!-y in a perfectly zippy yet not inappropriate or overly offensive way. If only Aaron Sorkin would script my life - then I could be well informed and ZING-y too.

She is professional and formidable by day but fabulous in an evening dress.

She gets super riled up over women's rights and smiles when called a "shizta feminista."

She loves Goldfish crackers.

She has emotions but she's not emotional.

She isn't a member of boy's club, but she's still the person they all want as a friend more than anyone else.

While I want to be tall, lanky and fabulous in evening gowns, I a recognize the futility. Witty, zingy, balanced, formidably smart yet incredibly endearing? I'm workin' on it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And she went to my alma mater, Kenyon College...or more precisely, Allison Janney did.