Tuesday, September 1, 2009

My favorite season!

I'm SO excited.

I was at the grocery store this afternoon picking up some staples (a peach, a plum, swiss cheese, hydroponic basil, fresh mozzarella and some cinnamon raisin english muffins) and bemoaning the end of berry season when I saw it. If I'd had a tail I would have chased it around in a circle for 3 minutes. I almost high tailed it over to the bulk candy aisle and made it rain gummy worms and sour gummy bears so that I could dance among them in a proxyisms of glee!

It's hard to believe that it's already here, or at least they want us to think that it's here, which honestly is more than enough for me. It may have been the ninety-eight degree weather and the one hundred and seven percent humidity that kept me from knowing this was coming. Maybe it's the semi-tropical rainy season that we are still experiencing every afternoon around four pm. Or maybe it's the fact that it was technically still birthday month that distracted me. Regardless, it snuck up on me, tiptoeing around on little stockinged feet with holes in the toes.

I wasn't paying attention, just meandering around and I saw them. Pumpkins. Pumpkins on magazine covers. Glorious golden pumpkins, squash and gourds with weird non-floral plant arrangements in dark crimson, orange and chocolate-y browns. Pumpkins posed oh so seductively next to roasted and glistening poultry. It's fall!!

Okay so maybe not REALLY fall, but if marketing and advertising says so, I accept! The season for Gator football (and by association par-tays!) Halloween, Thanksgiving, a string of near constant days off from work the mean I really only have to work 3 full weeks between October and January, Wes' birthday and oh so much more! I know that fall doesn't really come in Florida, it's still super hot and we can't build fires or sip hot beverages outside until January, but in the time honored tradition of teachers and researchers alike, I vow to fake it till I make it.

It's fall!

No comments: