Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Drat you Airport, drat you

Friday, November 5, 2010

When I was a teenager I used to dream about being an adult and traveling alone.  I'm not sure where I got the fabulous vision of traveling alone, probably a hybrid effect of teen magazines, Britney Spears' "Crossroads" and the driving desire to be anyone but myself.  Life on the other side of the dream isn't quite as idyllic and as I sit in this airport all I can think about is home.

I'm pretty okay with being on my own, which I think contributes significantly to the enjoyment of traveling alone.  At the outset there was also the additional liberation of walking where and however fast I want.  As the youngest in my family, I've spent most of my traveling life by default following either my parents or my sister and a little traveling autonomy was welcome.  Additional highlights included reading massive amounts of trash magazines without shame, drinking a beer with my breakfast and only having to contend with the stares of strangers instead of people who actually know me.  The novelty has since worn off however, along with the assumption that I'll actually follow you if we end up traveling together.  Now traveling alone also means that there's nobody to watch your luggage while you pee and there's also nobody to people watch with or exchange magazines with. 

I do like that my job includes traveling sometimes.  I've gotten to go to really fun places and I've stayed in fancy hotels that routinely out-fancy me but I have to admit that today, I'd really rather not

You see the weather is actually getting cold in the 'Ville this weekend and I am missing it.  I love for these random cool weekends in October and November in Florida that remind me "yes, it is indeed Fall" and I am missing it! There is a whooooole box of crackle fire logs sitting next to the fire place just waiting, waiting for the weather to descend to anywhere remotely resembling cool.  Wes, thoughtful as always purchased these logs about three weeks ago and I've been gazing longingly and wistfully at them ever since.  While gazing wistfully we've also been wondering if lighting a fire will cure Murry of his penchant for playing in the fireplace.  In theory sooty kitty footprints are helpful in figuring out what exactly the kittehs do during the day but in practice I'd be okay with not cleaning them off the mantle, bookcases, tables, bathroom floors and kitchen counters.  So much for training them to stay off the counters.  I digress but I just KNOW that while I'm gone Wes is going to light a fire, pull up the papsan and snuggle down with a book and the kittehs and I'M GOING TO MISS IT!!

I guess I didn't factor turning into a Hobbit into my fantastic traveling fantasy.

No comments: