Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Wanted: Cat Companion for Lonesome Only Pet

Wes and I went and looked kittens today at the very ridiculously named Haile's Angels Pet Rescue.  I never thought that I'd have one cat, much less LIKE said cat or, even more far fetched, start looking for a second kitty. I always figured that having cat allergies would, you know, kinda rule all these things out. I was so wrong.

About thirty seconds after we got Joe Lewis, he had weaseled his way into my heart and I never wanted to let him go.  Approximately 2 seconds after that Wes decided that he (Joe Lewis) needed a friend.  Apparently Joe's incessant whining and aggressive cuddling technique are indicative, not of crippling codependence but rather of loneliness.  He stuck to this story for a while but I knew, I KNEW that there was something more and I was right.

There's this point in all relationships (especially the romantical ones) where you have to let go of the illusions that you created in the beginning. Sex and the City called it "SSB: Secret Single Behavior."  It's the stuff that we do when we're alone that you wouldn't necessarily want other people to see or know about.  All SSB falls eventually - it's only a matter of time before someone smells your stinky poo or catches you picking that stubborn booger that just won't blow.  A year ago I may have believed that Wes' lobbying for a kitten friend for JL was benevolent but after 11 months of one SSB after the other biting the dust, I know better.  I know this because of a not very well kept SSB that Wes lives for soft, cuddly animals that want nothing more than to snuggle and submit adoringly to his attentions. The only thing better than one soft, cuddly, snugly (albeit rather vocal) kitty is TWO soft, cuddly, snugly kittens.

When Wes claims that Joe Lewis is lonesome and in need of a playmate, what he really means is that a second cat opens up the possibility that two snugly, cuddly, adoring cats will vie for his affections and potentially smother him with snuggles.  I am SO not kidding about this.

My mom didn't know this.  Not being me, she wasn't privy to Wes' weakness and she fell for the Benevolent Pet Owner shtick.  She fell fast and she fell hard.  She went down like Frazier.  In three short days my "my mom will flip if we bring another animal into this house" argument was dead in the water, Wes had Mama on his side and I was done for. 

This is how I found myself where I was today, interviewing kitty's in need of homes.  It was a rough job and while many were quite attractive, none of the applicants met the requirements and we had to leave empty handed.  I have a strong feeling that there won't be any giving up until the position is filled.

2 comments:

Katie said...

I'm sure Joe Lewis would like a friend... cat adoption places should have loner cat programs so you could "test drive" one to see if they are compatible.

Nuevo Charlotteans said...

Check out Petsmart - they always have cats for adoption and on Saturdays I believe they have a couple other adoption places bring their animals in. It's where I found my Squishy and I have never looked back. Flame-point Siamese ALL THE WAY! And, the animal adoption places will take the cat back if it does not work out in your home.