Tuesday, March 23, 2010

My Music Debut

So I've been thinking extensively about the contents of my future music album. You can't always explain why you want someone or something because sometimes the heart just wants what it wants. What my heart currently wants is to cut an album. Despite the fact that I have put zero effort towards this goal thus far and don't really plan on putting any future energy towards it, I still maintain that it just might happen because, you know, stranger things have happened. I'm no Tom Waits or Bob Dylan or even Taylor Swift for that matter, I can't generate new music, but given my A-mazing shower singing skills I'm reasonably confident that I can profit from the genius of others and so my CD shall be nothing but cover songs.


I was thinking a "greatest hits" compilation of sorts in which "greatest hits" is synonymous with the songs that I never get sick of singing. Numero uno on my track list will be The Script's "Breakeven." This is currently my fave song to rock out to in my car - it's pretty much the only place that the cat won't run away when I try to hit the high note..."I'm falling to pieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeces." I think with the help of a vocal coach and auto tune (both of which I will clearly utilize to their greatest capacity) I can work that note out though.


Songs that I have no business trying to sing (for various reasons) but will be included anyways because of their inherent awesomeness:
- Third Eye Blind, "Motorcycle Drive by"
- Janet Jackson - Runaway. I listened to this song so many god damned times that it's only right to include it - the universe would smite me if I didn't.
- Bush, "Glycerine"


Next up, TLC "Waterfalls. " My rendition will absolutely include Left Eye's rap. I've never understood why radio stations leave the rap out, it's Will Smith like in it's cleanliness. My 12 year old self spent an obscene number of hours learning this rap and I die a little bit inside each time it is left out. I won't let my distinct lack of authentic thug-ness stop me from representin' upper middle class white girls all over the world by rockin' this out.


Then to round out the album, a series god awful songs that probably wouldn't have been recorded in the first place if the music industry had any self respect but in the name of growing up in the 90's must be included:
- 2 Live Crew - Sally (That Girl.)
- LFO, "Summer Girls"
- Sisco, "The Thong Son
- Hanson "Mmmm Bop"
- Jennifer Lopez ft. JaRule, "I'm Real."
- 702, "Where My Girls At"


I'd like to include some of my absolute favorite classics, all James Taylor, Tom Waits and Bonnie Raitt but I'm thinking that they just don't jive with the soul of my album. They'll have to wait for my follow up album in which I forgo popular culture and get down to my true music roots.

Songs and artists who will NOT find a place on my CD - anything ever sung by Edwin McCain


This blog brought to you by Firesteed Pino Noir. 

1 comment:

Nuevo Charlotteans said...

Dude, talk about a high note. If you want to add a song you have no business singing, use Third Eye Blinds "Semi Charmed Life"..."Goodbyeeeeeeeeeee." Thats a fricken note. And you learned Waterfalls in your impressionable tween years, eh? That was me and Shoop! I can still sing/rap every lyric to that song in perfect rhythm. I vote to add this to your album as well.