Monday, May 23, 2011

Meet Blueberry

The seemingly never ending saga of Anna Needs to Buy a Car has, against all odds, has ended.  Buying a car has been terrifying to me, it's a lot of money (something that my miserly little soul doesn't like spending), it requires financing (something I've never had to get before) which in turn means monthly payments (something I've never had.) Big, scary, looming adult-y decisions to be made and I seriously miss being twelve.  So after months of cowardly inaction I bit the bullet and did something that scared me, I bought BB:


She's cute, she's speedy, she comfortable and she's completely impractical.  She only has two doors and if I want to get more than two bags of groceries at any given time, I have to fold the back seats down to fit them in.  Yep, entirely impractical but it's okay because my life doesn't need practicality right now - it needs fun and she is most certainly is fun. Even more fun than her speedy cuteness is the absurd and faaaan-tastic Mini Nod.  As someone who has always driven entirely inconspicuous cars I didn't know this until recently but there seems to be a strange and entirely absurd camaraderie among people who drive certain cars. 

Jeep drivers have a wave, a small and oh so cool "hey there" kind of wave out the driver side window.  I giggled a little when Wes explained this requirement to driving his Jeep until I remembered Todd Brewer telling me about Jeep Love when I was in high school. Todd was (and probably still is) an interesting cookie and I just assumed that this waving thing was code for Todd Brewer likes to wave at strangers. While that might be true, Jeep Love or the Jeep Wave, whatever you want to call it, much to my Mom's amusement, it exists. 

I think it's been well established that coolness is just not among my attributes and to find out that the Mini Coopers have their own version of The Wave, well that's just typical. :)  It's not a wave, not even so much a nod as a "what up" chin lift as you pass in traffic. One would think that this would be an easy acknowledgement to master but I've NEVER been able to make a chin lift look anything but ridiculous.  My uncool nature means that I instinctively nod down instead of up and lets just say...that's not the Mini nod.  This is going to take some practice.

1 comment:

Leslie said...

Watch motorcycles when they pass each other as well. They do a wave that consists of lifting your fingers from your handle bar (for the Harley riders) and the low beside the tank arm extension wave for the crotch rockets. I tried to wave at harleys on while my crotch rocket,and the harley guys weren't so keen to wave back. But hey, I'm nice and did it anyways.