Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Doing it like the adults do

I've been on a bit music kick lately and when it comes to music, I'm a giant goober who likes to find personal meaning in the lyrics.  As embarassing as that fact is to admit to, I am proud to say that the songs that I've been finding meaning in are of a much more impressive caliber than those that I found meaning in when I was 18, no Britney this time.  So rather than simply post some songs with a smiley face and a SOTD tag, I thought (since I've now outted myelf)  I might as well share my gooberishness and try to explain why I love these songs to much.

I've been feeling rather adult-y lately, a feeling that's good yet unwelcome all at the same time.   Yep, this life is mine and in the immortal and wise words of Hyperbole and a Half  "I'm really not comfortable with the fact that I'm responsible for all the decisions." 

All the decisions (and there's literally dozens needing to be made each and every day,) the good and the bad, they come back to me and then I have to live with the results.   It's all beer and skittles when decisions turn out well but what about when those decisions take a sharp left hand turn to Bad-Choice-ville?  Bring on the self flagellation and Popsicles to say the least.  There is distinct comfort however in knowing that in my relative solitude, the amount of damage that I can wreak is limited to a small, very intimate, radius of...well...me (and sometimes wondieful boyfriend.) I guess you could say it's been a very introspective year.

Then, this past Sunday I was watching the Superhero Marathon on USA and a line in Spiderman, of all movies, resonated.  "With great power comes great responsibility."  Well...really it's more meaningful for me in the reverse: with great responsibility comes great power.  My life is mine and that means that if someone crosses a line and I want to kick them out of it?  I can.  If someone gives me advice that I don't want, don't like or don't agree with?  I get to ignore it!  Or, in the far more eloquent (and succinct) words of Sarah Bareilles:



You've got opinions, man
We're all entitled to 'em
But I never asked

So let me thank you for time
And try to not waste any more of mine
Get out of here fast
I hate to break it to you babe
But I'm not drowning
There's no one here to save

Who cares if you disagree
You are not me


No comments: