Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Seriously? Today?

Dear Quitline.com,

I don't smoke but I appreciate that you are trying to positively impact the world by enabling people who do smoke to quit.  As the daughter of an ex-closet smoker (sorry Papa, but you've quit and there's just no reason to be in a closet anymore) and the girlfriend of a current smoker, I applaud these efforts.  Research has shown that five years of not smoking can outweigh 15 years of smoking - this is something worth letting people know. 

What I don't appreciate is that your 30 second add is currently hindering me from viewing the lyrics to Mumford and Sons' "The Cave."  While I'm sure a lot of thought and research went into your commercial, as a non-smoker the images of chest x-rays, smokey backgrounds and earnest looking actors-playing-physicians were as influential on my life as the shenanigans of the Jersey Shore Crew.  That is to say, it was a waste of my time!   Couldn't you have included an I'm-not-a-smoker clause that enabled me to escape? 

Sincerely,

Anna

No comments: