Monday, December 6, 2010

My Charlie Brown Christmas Tree

With Thanksgiving all said and done I turn to decorating for Christmas. 

This is my very favorite of the holidays (I mean, who doesn't love twinkle lights!) So as soon as the turkey fryin' peanut oil had be scrubbed from the kitchen counters, it was time to find a tree. I know that some people decorate for Christmas before Thanksgiving but I for one oppose this.  As fabulous as it is to have twinkle lights and decorations up, it's just positively brutish to brush over perfectly respectable and enjoyable holidays like Halloween and Thanksgiving in the rush to begin celebrating Christmas. Christmas has the whole of December dedicated to it, there's just no need to go encroaching on November. However, November is now over and  I see no reason to drag my feet. 

I really love to celebrate: holidays, birthdays, seasons, presidents, natural phenomena...I love them all.  I've written about Birthday Month before (here and here) and how so very often this penchant for celebration is seen as selfish or egocentric and maybe it is.  Still, if we don't celebrate the good times, then how will we remember them? How will we be able to stock pile them for future use during the bad times?  This (and I say this with the appropriate amount of humility and gratitude) is a good time for me and come what may, I want to remember it.

I've never really even thought twice about getting a Christmas tree but this year I have to admit that I was a little nervous about the havoc Murry might choose to wreak over said tree.  I'm okay with some innocent batting at a swinging branches or two but I'm just not looking forward to coming home to the tree toppled and crashed through the coffee table.  Joe Lewis is a pretty laid back kitty and I don't worry so much that he might kamikaze dive bomb the Christmas tree while we're at work but Murry has been a bit of a maniac as of late.  He's developed a propensity for turning kibble into a huntable substance in order to maintain his energy levels for attacking the toilet paper rolls and then celebrating his triumph with a celebratory writhe amongst the masticated bits of conquered t.p.  Thus, our tree may be in danger and a plan was formulated. 

Wes purchased our tree (a first for him!) and we decided to set it up and just leave it for a day or two to let the branches settle and test run the determination of Mur-Monster in conquering the tree.  It was thusly I discovered that an undecorated tree is just a creepy tree lurking the corner of my living room.  Not quite the festive aura I was hoping for and so only 24 uneventful hours passed until, fortified with a glass of Malbec and the Muppet's (with John Denver) singing Christmas carols in the background I created my Charlie Brown Christmas Tree 2010.  Not to be confused with Charlie the Christmas Plant of course, but festive all the same.



And so replete with twinkle lights and stockings for the kitties we snuggle down and prepare to enjoy the holidays.