Tuesday, September 14, 2010

A Fried Chicken State of Mind

This past weekend Wes and I participated in Operation Surprise Andy. Much to our enjoyment and Jen's planning, it actually WAS a surprise and Andy was so excited, he did a whirly-gig happy dance in the middle of Howl at the Moon.  While a few weeks shy of Andy's actual 30th birthday, we didn't let that get in our way.  There were vodka drinks and (for a few people who clearly have not learned their lesson yet) Jager shots and an arsenal of very bad music played by a band with an out of this world range. 

Like most birthdays lately, the topic of "we're oooold" came up.  In the last few years, I've noticed an uptick in people making the assertion that "we" are old.  I find this to be nothing short of obscene.  While I may occasionally feel old ((it happens when you live in a town with a mean age of 22) so long as my age starts with a 2 and probably long afterwards, I refuse to be old.  So while I am not so young as the girl celebrating her 21st birthday at Howl at the Moon last Friday night, that is an okay thing to me.  So maybe we started our night at Howl later than I generally go to bed, but this isn't evidence that I'm "old," so much as it's indicative of my intrinsic lameness.  Much like my college years we left Howl after many a beer and few tequilla shots but this time around I did not vomit and I also slept in a bed with sheets and pillows.  These things did not happen when I was road tripping at 21.

Nowm I've ALWAYS been that annoying girl who can't sleep in after a night of drinking. 17, 22 or 27, I'm up by 730 and jonesing for a toothbrush, a shower and a giant bottle of water.  Then I typically read for four hours while I wait for everyone else to wake up.  True to form I woke up Saturday morning, brushed those teethies, took a shower and went in search of water but what did I find? Coffee and a surprisingly substantive conversation with the other early risers. My how the times have changed :)

Then came the day of fried chicken.  Ca'lina BBQ, I LOVE YOU!! There was fried chicken and biscuits for breakfast, welcome to the South my friend.  There was no lunch (mostly because we ate fried chicken and biscuits for breakfast) but there was fried BBQ chicken with hush puppies and coleslaw for dinner.  I didn't know that you can make coleslaw with vinegar instead of mayo but Oh. My. God.

The food alone was fabulous but it was the company of fantastically laid back, fun people that was the best part. Runner up to the best part was that I was with women who actually ATE. It's new, it's novel and it was great! Sure we all knew it was a ridiculously decadent day and that there would be more than few nights of salad to make up for it but we all ate it and nobody felt compelled to talk about it.  We just ate it and it was good.

This past weekend.  It was good. :)  Happy Birthday A-Diddy!!  We love you!


No comments: