Wednesday, May 12, 2010

The Weekend of the Chicken

This past weekend was a lovely weekend.  Come to think of it, most of my recent weekends have fallen under the category of lovely. There's been this amazing balance between the things that I want to do, the things that I have to do and then all that time in between when there's nothing but enjoyment of life to be had.  I keep catching myself being ludicrously, shamefully and gleefully contented.  It's a fate-tempting kind of happiness but I just keep telling myself that some day in the far (or even the immediate) future when I'm running ragged, when I'm confused or heart broken, frustrated or just plain unhappy, I'll look back on weekends like these and be glad that I spent two blissful hours watching Food Network, drinking iced coffee and just being pleased with my world as a whole.

Thanks to my amiga Kelly who popped my Farmers Market cherry a few weeks ago, I've become a huge fan of going to the Farmer's Market on Saturday mornings.  One thing about the Farmer's Market though is that it requires getting up reasonably early, and for those of us without munchkins 8 am on a weekend counts as reasonably early.  For this reason, my Friday night entertainments have been necessarily a bit lower key and earlier ending.  This weeks laid back activities included some live music, beer and pizza Satchels with some friends (and very sadly) sans a sick Wesley.  You just KNOW that when you walk up and see one man with three keyboards that it's gonna be good!  And good it was, good food, good company and in bed by 1030.  That's the kind of Friday nights I be rockin'.

Thanks to the early cessation of shenanigans on Friday, I was bright eyed and bushy tailed for the Farmers Market.  It's a good thing that I was fully awake and coffee-ed because once we got there Kelly proceeded to purchase a chicken with it's head still attached.  One must be caffeinated to endure such things.  Said chicken was organic, all natural, frozen, AND STILL IN POSSESSION OF IT'S HEAD. I am a meat eater, I like steak and chicken and all that falls in between, yet I was reluctant to purchase a chicken whose head I would have to remove.  Kelly on the other hand, a long time vegetarian seemed to be more intrigued rather than the disgusted and proceeded to purchase said chicken.  I stuck to veggies and some delicious baked goods.

So after our adventures with chickens at the Farmers Market, imagine my surprise when that very night I met...wait for it...a chicken farmer!  I know, unbelievable?  Believe it!  I went out to the Swamp for an after-wedding celebration for two friends (congrats Lindsey and Dennis!) and while there struck up a conversation with Jesus.  Okay, maybe he wasn't Jesus but he had a Jesus looking beard and he is a farmer.  It was like being stuck in a Jud Aptow film with all the jokes but not knowing the guy with a beard well enough to actually make them.  However, I digress.  Said fellow (whose name has completely escaped me) works on a primarily diary but also chicken and vegetable farm in New Hampshire.  Needless to say I had some questions regarding chicken decapitation and was comforted greatly to know that it is a fairly simple, WHAP kind of process.  Once all the pesky chicken business was out of the way we had a rather delightful conversation about 50Cent and his ability to take 9 bullets to the chest and THEN come out with something like In Da Club.  Talk about triumph. 

Sunday was far less eventful than Saturday, there was a hammock and a few beers.  Thankfully there were no chickens on Sunday.

No comments: