Saturday, April 24, 2010

Home II

I came home today after a pleasant but not so very prolonged trip out to San Diego for work.  It was a great trip, we had a good time and got a really good crash course in an upcoming leukemia trial.  I drank some San Diego-an Red Trolly Beer and perused a pretty awesome book store.

I received a Kindle from Wes for my birthday this past year.  When I was first given Kindle, I worried that I would miss actual books, turning pages and...well really just turning pages but I don't.  I love my Kindle, it was a most excellent gift.  Kindle is light, convenient and let us not forget: ecologically and fiscally responsible.  While I hesitate to read Kindle in the bathtub (given my spasticity in general there's no reason to believe that I wouldn't be spastastic with electronics near water) I do love being able to read with only one handsie braving the frigid out-of-blanket wilds of climate controlled Florida house.

I didn't realize it until this past week that the only negative thing about Kindle is that it discourages book store browsing.  I've been in a book drought lately, just couldn't really find anything that really pulled me in and so I was watching more TV instead.  I find watching lots of TV out of boredom or default to be a deplorable habit.  After about an hour of perusing the book store on Coronado Ave I had a list of books to download to Kindle later that night.  There's just nothing quite like meandering around a good book store for enjoyment or productivity.  Likewise there is nothing quite like good Mexican food, margaritas with fresh lime juice and good company, yet another activity I was lucky enough to enjoy this past week.  Life's pretty rough all the way around I guess.

The best part of this week though was coming home.  Originally I thought that coming home after Wes left for SportsFest wouldn't be a big, it's just a couple extra days after all.  Driving home from the airport though I was struck by a sense of lonesomeness, I'd never come home from a trip to an empty house.  I'd always had Meredith, Matilda and more recently Wes to make coming home feel like coming home.  So when I pulled into the garage and found that Wes was still here, well that might have been the best moment of the whole week.

No comments: