Tuesday, May 19, 2009

My new side business

I've started a side business.

It's a relatively innocuous and non-threatening side business. For me. Though I suppose my clients could experience some mildly serious ramifications should our little game be exposed. Said business could be likened to a lawyer defending a client but never actually having to go before the court. It's something like that. People do this for each other all the time and label it "help."

Does being paid for something make it worse? I know that this is true for sex. Consensual sex between adults is generally considered not to be a crime. (Unless you're Catholic and using birth control of course...but if you don't enjoy it, then it's fine.) Add in a little monetary compensation and.......BAM! Prostitution. Illegal. Bad. Not somewhere I ever care to go.

My problem however, is that this side business of mine, well, it pits two sides of me against each other. The teacher in me is horrified and can't believe that I would ever do such a thing. Sadly the under-paid researcher in me just plain doesn't care.

Am I doomed to the depths of the Pit of Despair? or am I merely deserving of a short period of respite in the Fire Swamp?

Oh moral compass...won't you leave me alone!?!

No comments: