Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Get out the vote

I've been declining to comment on politics on any social networking for the upcoming national election.  As a reasonably loud-mouthed person by nature, this hasn't always been particularly easy because people from both political parties are pretty riled up over this one. Sometimes I understand it.  Other times, I don't understand at all. 

It just seems that balanced, rational, calm discussion is completely out of the realm of possibility for most people, at least the one's doing most of the talking. It's all sound bites, bald accusations and exaggerations, and misconstructions of truths that weren't black and white to begin with. It's Fox News vs. "the liberal media." It's far slung interest groups calling for a moderators resignation from her private industry job for correcting a blatantly wrong statement. It's all catch phrases like as "Save Big Bird!", "Binders Full of Women" memes and the resurrection of the insidiously racist Birther movement. It's getting harder and harder to find facts on what laws actually say, who supports them and what each candidates actual plans for governing are.

It's infuriating, frustrating and it honestly makes me head-on-desk sad that this is what political discussion in this country has come down to.  

So when I saw this video, I just had to share. Not on Facebook (since I'm positive one of my wacko friends would ruin it with some nasty comment) but here, in my own little corner of the Interwebz.  There's no name calling.  There's no hatred.  Just women standing up and saying "I matter and I will vote."


No comments: