Tuesday, October 12, 2010

thinking longingly of that time when I was consumed with forming naive yet profound world views

This past weekend the Gators played LSU at home.  It was an ugly, ugly, ugly game and in lieu of dwelling on the ugliness that was the game, we will more on to more important topics, like tailgating.  A weekend of tailgating is good for my soul in that it reminds me of that oh so sweet period of life when I lived on bagels and didn't gain weight from it. I have several friends who attended colleges that didn't have football teams and will argue the superiority of such schools.  While I'm sure in some ways they're right, I went to college in the SEC which is just one step away from the fanaticism of Texas and college without football just doesn't make sense to me.

This past Friday and Saturday, I celebrated the upcoming game in true college fashion: downtown on Friday night, tailgating on Saturday afternoon.  Granted, the vacuuming and dusting that occurred early Saturday morning are less reminiscent of college, but they needed to be done and I can only suspend reality so far. 

The first and by far most life altering discovery this past weekend was that Ichiban Sushi serves curry.  Not just curry, but delicious and amazing curry.  Having previously assumed that my best options in Gainesville for curry were Chopstix and Amarit Palace, this is nothing less than huge. Chopstix is tasty but only if you have at least an hour to wait and don't particularly fancy water with your food.  Amarit Palace is much better known around these parts as Armpit Palace and well, I think that really speaks for itself.  So to find out that delicious curry can be had in conjunction with drinks and without a funky smell...well that's a win win. I hope you had a tight hold on your nipples, they might have flown off with the enormity of this news.
 A little less life altering (but not by much) is the discovery that LSU fans apparently smell like corn dogs. Strange, I know, but according to the rumor the drunk and anti-LSU bar cohort, true!  This was confirmed by the greater population of Durty Nelly's who took to yelling "I SMELL CORN DOGS" any time some LSU fans walked in the door. I'm not sure how I missed this stellar form of psychological warfare for the past ten years but I like it!

I also learned that I still have it.  Infer what you like, Sisters #1 and #2 (who probably don't read this blog) know what I'm talking about.

Saturday was beautiful out and so the last minute call to go tailgating was made. My favorite thing about tailgating is that it's perfect for wandering.  During my wanderings I had to make my way down Frat Row.  There have been times that I've looked back on college and thought: maybe I should have done that.  Walking down Frat Row on Saturday, I have never been more confident in my decision NOT to join a sorority. I find comfort in that I'll never wonder about that ever again.  Past Frat Row I bumped into some high school friends (one turned co-worker recently) and, as was appropriate given they were the last people I did such a thing with, shotgunned a beer.  (Sorry Mama.) I now remember why I don't shotgun beers - they make me burp like Homer Simpson.  Super klassy.



Moving on my way, I joined the Gainesville branch of my fam at their Tailgate for the rest of the afternoon.  I don't know why it's so satisfying to sit in a field, drink and joke but it is.  There's nothing like mid fall tailgating in Florida

And so here I find myself, thinking longingly of that time when I formed naive and profound world views that were immediately proven to be wrong the minute I stepped out into the real world. Ahh college, I don't really miss you but I do remember you fondly.

3 comments:

KJ said...

Hiya gator. I'm curious what Floridians (or, really- you) think about the Urban Meyer/Chris Rainey thing. Perhaps a blog post in the future? xoxo

SoMuchToSay said...

Oh Chris Rainey. Tsk tsk tsk. Perhaps fodder for a future blog :)

EricaK said...

I read it despite what you may think.