Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Clean Sheets


One of my favorite authors, Frank McCourt passed away this past weekend. Frank McCourt’s memoirs Angela's Ashes, 'Tis and Teacher Man reminded me that small things, like clean sheets, are something to be grateful for.


I often find myself irritated with people reminding me to be grateful for what I have been given in life mostly because said reminders often exclude the things that I have earned. I have no difficulty recognizing and embracing that the warmth, comfort and love that I was born into is something to be grateful for. I do have difficulty when people expect me to apologize for it.


Frank McCourt reminded everyone who read his books of the small things we take for granted and the even smaller things that we bemoan as unfair or awful. It’s all about the small things. Like freshly laundered sheets and a soft bed. Thank you. :)

No comments: